Once again Government foils Separatist sponsored UN March

Once again Government foils Separatist sponsored UN March

Pic By Shah Jehanger

Srinagar,February 10,2017 CNS: The Jammu and Kashmir government on Friday foiled separatist “UN March” by imposing strict restrictions and detaining top separatist leaders while curbs and shutdown remained in force in the Valley for the 2nd consecutive day.

    Authorities imposed restrictions in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley to foil separatists “UN March”.  All the entry and exit points in Srinagar and other districts of the Valley were sealed by police and paramilitary personnel.

The cops had also sealed all the roads leading to United Nations military observers’ office at Sonawar in Srinagar. The cops had placed armoured vehicles and concertina wires on the roads to prevent people from taking to roads and marching towards the UN office.

    Senior pro-freedom leader Syed Ali Geelani continues to remain under house arrest while Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house arrest on Friday morning and he was even not allowed to lead Friday congregational prayers at historic Jamia Masjid. Authorities disallowed Friday prayers at the Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar by restricting the movement of people around the central mosque. A spokesman of Hurriyat (M) said that the doors of the mosques were locked to bar the weekly congregational prayers.

    Resistance leadership including Geelani, Mirwaiz and JKLF chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik had called on people to march towards UN office to stress on the world body to “intervene and put pressure on India to return the mortal remains of sons of soil Muhammad Maqbool Bhat and Muhammad Afzal Guroo who are buried inside India’s Tihar Jail.”

    Despite restrictions, people at many places in Srinagar attempted to march towards the UN office. However, they were disallowed and dispersed by the security men.  

   Police foiled Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front protest rally and arrested scores of activists including Front Chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik. Reports said that a large number of people tried to carry out a pro-freedom protest rally shortly after Friday congregational prayers at Sarai Bala Srinagar. However, heavy contingent of police and CRPF blocked the passage and stopped protesters from moving towards city centre Lal Chowk. Police bundled JKLF chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik and others into vehicles and lodged them at police station Kothi Bagh. Besides Malik, Ghazi Javaid Baba, Ghulam Muhammad Dar and Muhammad Yasin Bhat were also detained at Kothi Bagh police station.

   Eyewitnesses said that the youth at many places also clashed with the security personnel. During the clashes, police and paramilitary personnel fired tear smoke shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse the protestors, who pelted stones on them.

    Clashes between government forces and protesters were reported from Soura and Safakadal areas of Srinagar city.

     Clashes erupted in North Kashmir’s Sopore town after the Friday congregational prayers. Eyewitnesses told news agency CNS that a large number of people took to roads and staged a pro-freedom protest. Witnesses added that police stopped the protesters near Jamia Masjid Road that resulted in clashes. Protesters resorted to stone-pelting while police and Para-military Central Reserve Police Force used tear-smoke shells to disperse them. The clashes between protesters and government forces continued for hours.

   A police official told CNS that situation remained peaceful throughout Valley. In South Kashmir, Umat-e-Islamia patron alleged that police foiled their efforts to organize a blood donation camp. (CNS)