25 hour long Kashmir capital gun fight ends with the killing of...

25 hour long Kashmir capital gun fight ends with the killing of two militants, a trooper


Srinagar, Feb 13, CNS: The 25 hours long gun battle in the heart of Srinagar city ended with the killing of both the militants.

  The gunfight had erupted in Karan Nagar area of Srinagar city on Monday morning when Para-military troopers foiled a possible Fidayeen attack forcing militants to enter into an under constructed building near Karan Nagar based CRPF camp.

 CRPF on Monday claimed that two armed militants tried to sneak into their camp in Karan Nagar during the dead of the night, however, the security guard shortly after observing their movement fired upon them.

The incident occured at 4:30 of Monday morning. The gun shots created panic in the area while combined forces launched a search operation and established contact with the militants during morning hours.

An official said that 2 militants carrying pithu bags and armed with AK 47 approached  towards 23 Battalion CRPF camp in Karan Nagar. However, Sentry observed their movement and immediately opened fire. The militants entered into an under constructed building.

In wake of the gunfight authorities suspended high speed internet service while restrictions were imposed in parts of Srinagar city to thwart possible protests.

During the initial exchange of fire yesterday, an Indian trooper Mujahid Khan was killed while a local policeman had also suffered injuries.

Sources said that government forces used rocket launcher grenades to blast the building, however, they failed in their attempt.

Inspector General CRPF said that they exercised restraint to avoid loss of life and property.

The gun fight that resumed today resulted in the death of two militants, said an official adding that combing operation was launched in and around the encounter site.

   While addressing press conference, Inspector General of Police Kashmir Zone, SP Pani said: on Monday early in the morning at 4:30 am, one alert CRPF sentry of 23 Bn. HQ Karan Nagar spotted two militants carrying pithu bags and armed with AK-47 rifles.”

“The alert sentry opened fire due to which militants fled towards the nearby locality. During conduct of search operation in the area near Gole Market Karan Nagar search party was fired upon by these militants who were hiding  in an under construction multi-storied building ensuing an encounter.”

 “The encounter concluded today afternoon. In the encounter two terrorists were killed whose identity is being ascertained. Both these militants belonged to LeT outfit as per the incriminating material recovered from them.”

 During the encounter one CRPF personnel identified as Constable Muhammad Mujazhid Khan  No. 11047672 S/o Abdul Khair Khan R/o  District Arah State Bihar of 49 Bn CRPF got killed and one J&K police personnel namely Javid Ahmad  No. 1843/S of District Police Srinagar suffered bullet injuries but his condition is stable.”

        “Two AK-47 rifles, 08 AK-47 magazines and other war like stores were recovered from the encounter site.

While planning the operation due care was taken to avoid any collateral damage.”

Police has registered a case and investigation is on. (CNS)