Home J&K KU Assistant Professor trapped in Shopian Gunfight; Family called for persuasion

KU Assistant Professor trapped in Shopian Gunfight; Family called for persuasion

1655
SHARE
Dr. Mohammad Rafiq Bhat, who was among those killed in the encounter.

Ganderbal, May 06-CNS: Two days ago on 4th of May 2018 (Friday) an Assistant Professor from the Department of Sociology from the University of Kashmir went missing. Two days later his family was called to Shopian to persuade him to shun the gun.

Dr. Mohammad Rafiq Bhat S/O: Abdul Rahim Bhat a resident of Chunduna Ganderbal had recently completed his PhD from the Kashmir University and had been appointed as an Assistant professor in his own department on contractual basis. Dr. Rafiq is also a NET qualifier. He was married a year ago.

Dr. Bhat went missing soon after the culmination of Friday prayers but none of us had even thought in our wildest dreams that he had joined armed militancy, told a friend of Dr. Bhat to news agency CNS.

Another friend of Bhat told CNS that he had as such no inclination towards gun and was known as a noble soul in his locality. He was a sober person and always busy with his studies, least did we know what was brewing inside him.

Pertinently, an encounter started between militants and government forces at Badigam area of south Kashmir’s Shopian district on Sunday morning.

Official sources said that army’s 44 RR acting on inputs about the presence of some militants launched s cordon-and-search operation at Badigam village.

A group of three militants are believed to be engaged in a gunfight, an officer has said early morning.

Later on it came to fore that one among the trapped is Dr. Rafiq, an AP from University of Kashmir.

Police told CNS that family of the newly recruited, highly qualified militant has been called from the Central Kashmir’s  Ganderbal to persuade him to surrender. Meanwhile, reports suggested that top Hizb Commander Saddam Padder is also trapped in the encounter. (CNS)