Home J&K Duty Magistrates monitor student protests in Kashmir: Govt to SHRC

Duty Magistrates monitor student protests in Kashmir: Govt to SHRC

349
SHARE
Pic By Shah Jehangir

Srinagar, May 30, CNS: Jammu Kashmir Government has submitted a detailed report about the procedure of dealing with students protesters stating that Special Duty Magistrates are being deployed in every district during student protests.

State Human Rights Commission had issued notices to Divisional Commissioner Kashmir and Director General of Police directing them to file a detailed report about the procedure of dealing with the student protesters.

SHRC’s response had come in the backdrop of a petition filed by International Forum for Justice Chairman, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo who had sought the direction from the Commission to Government to appoint Special Duty Magistrates during student protests.

The petitioner in his petition had claimed that no duty magistrate remains present during student protests which are not only against law but also a rights violation.

The petitioner had also sought SHRC directions to State not to inflict violence on the students who have been passing through a difficult phase. “SHRC should direct the security agencies not to use excessive force while dealing with student protesters and also government should frame and formulate a specific commission for the students of Jammu and Kashmir,” the petition reads.

Dilshada Shaheen, while acting on behalf of the Commission had directed Divisional Commissioner Kashmir and Director General of Police to file a detailed report in this regard.

The authorities in their report have maintained that they have been deploying special magistrates during student protests to ensure nothing untoward happens.

“The officers deployed for the Magisterial duty observe utmost caution and take precautions, so that in no case disproportionate use of force is made, in case any law and order situation is erupted, use of normal law and order methods as per SOP followed by use of riot control equipments shall be made in case situation goes out of control,” the report submitted before SHRC reads. (CNS)