Home J&K Some people uploaded old videos to create trouble on Burhan Wani’s 2nd...

Some people uploaded old videos to create trouble on Burhan Wani’s 2nd anniversary: Police 

303
SHARE

 

Neyaz Elahi

Srinagar, July 9, CNS: As compared to last year, there were lesser incidents of violence and stone-pelting on the anniversary of popular Hizbul Mujhadeen Commander Burhan Wani. Last year in 2017, at least 22 incidents of violence and stone-pelting were reported across Kashmir Valley on July 8 when first anniversary of Burhan Wani was observed amid shutdown. This year, there were only 5 stray incidents of stone-pelting, which police is describing as a positive change.

Burhan Wani was killed in Kokarnag area of South Kashmir’s Ananatnag district on July 8, 2016 sparking widespread violence across Kashmir Valley. Joint Resistance Leadership had called for a complete shutdown in his honour while security agencies have taken all the precautionary measures to maintain law and order.

“We succeeded in our endeavor. There was no loss of life and property or injuries to anyone on the first death anniversary of Burhan Wani. The day passed off peacefully barring 5 isolated incidents of stone-pelting,” said a top rank police official to news agency CNS.

He added that some people uploaded the old videos and photographs of Burhan Wani to incite trouble in Valley, but fortunately, general public didn’t give heed to them.

“It was a big challenge for us and we had taken all the measures to maintain peace. We had no intention to curtail mobile internet service on July 8 but the unfortunate Kulgam incident prompted us to do so and we thank people for their endurance and cooperation,” the official said. (CNS)