Home J&K Art workshop Organised in Khyber Public School, Chadoora

Art workshop Organised in Khyber Public School, Chadoora

300
SHARE

Chadoora ,06 September 2018-CNS:-A Delhi based photo journalist, Namisha Raj in association with Camelon and KO is conducting a 7 seven day workshop in Khyber Public School,Repora Chadoora. The workshop series which is being organized throughout schools in remote areas includes activities like painting, theatre, music and other creative activities. It is a unique effort to allow students and young minds to put forth their opinions and ideas.  Namisha Raj, the mind behind of the concept believes that art is the best medium to allow children to communicate. “It is very unfortunate that Kashmiris schools don’t include creative arts in the curriculum. Art isn’t just restricted to painting and drawing random stuff. It is a form of expression and an outlet for the mind which is what makes it even more important in a conflict zone because kids here continuously struggle to find an outlet for their feelings”. The teachers at Khyber Public school believe that the workshops help boost the confidence of their students. “Activities like these make the kids love studying. They also allow us a peek into what the kid is thinking and what is important for to them”, says Mahi Fatima, a teacher in the school. The primary school which works on the unique concept of not giving any homework to its students and introducing the play way method of teaching is the first school to conduct such workshops in the area. The chairman and founder of the school , Shahnawaz Sultan believes that such activities are important for the overall development of the children. “I want our children to excel in every field. Running a school in a remote area comes with its own set of problems but I want to eliminate the concept that rural students lack exposure thus find it difficult to succeed in life”.  The bubbling children who seemed all too excited to paint and draw couldn’t express their happiness in words. “I love coming to the school every day because I get to try new things today”, says Seerat Jan, a K.G student.

Namisha’s associates, Yash Mukand, who conducts workshops on child sex abuse and Raunak Ali, a theatre artist from Downtown Srinagar believe that it is time creative arts was introduced as a subject in schools. “In Kashmir we have very few people who can guide kids towards the right direction at the right time. We are trying to change that with these workshops”, says Raunak. “The government’s lack luster attitude towards such activities is really a shame. They should be encouraging such activities instead all they seem to care about are proposals and budgets”, says Yash.

The workshop is the first of a series of workshops being conducted in various schools all over the valley. It is an effort to develop creativity among children and allow them to give shape to their ideas.