Home J&K 13th Science Congress-2018: Kashmir University authorities face embarrassment after students hold protest

13th Science Congress-2018: Kashmir University authorities face embarrassment after students hold protest

1224
SHARE

Srinagar: Authorities at Kashmir University faced some embarrassing moments after a large number of students raised pro-freedom slogans at the arrival of State Governor NN Vohra in the Varsity.Vohra arrived in the Varsity to attend 13th Science Conference which despite the prevailing situation was not postponed by the University authorities. Insiders said that 70 per cent faculty skipped the function that was held at Convocation Hall of Kashmir University.Large number of students came close to Convocation Hall and offered funeral prayers in absentia for those militants and civilians killed in South Kashmir.13 militants, 4 civilians and 3 security men were killed in three encounters in South Kashmir’s Shopian and Anantnag district on Sunday. Eye witnesses said the students came out of Zakura hostel, M.A hostel and M.A.K hostel and marched towards convocation complex amid protests and pro-freedom slogans. There were two separate protests of male and female students. Female students protested even after the conclusion of 13th Science Congress.Police personnel were deployed in strength to keep students at bay, however, they reportedly couldn’t succeed. A student sustained injuries during the scuffle with police. The students resorted to massive sloganeering.Reports said that students chanted pro-Islam, pro-freedom and anti-government, anti-PDP and anti-BJP slogans.“It is disgusting on part of the University to organize Science Congress today at a time when Valley was drenched in blood yesterday. They are playing politics and we won’t allow them to do so,” said a protesting student.Witnesses added that students tried to heckle some of the officials when they requested protesters to stop chanting slogans.A University official on condition of anonymity said three Cabinet Ministers Imran Raza Ansari, Sajad Lone and Syed Altaf Bukhari skipped the function. “Like these Ministers, 70 per cent of invitees didn’t turn up,” he added.Well placed sources said that Vice Chancellor Kashmir University faced big embarrassment due to student protest. Sources added that police had requested VC Kashmir University to shift the ‘Function’ to SKICC, however, the incumbent VC had assured them that all measures are at place to ensure smooth conduct of 13th Science Congress-2018.“The students held demonstrations inside their hostels as the main gates have been closed to prevent the boarders from coming out,” a protesting student told this reporter over phone from her hostel.